Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Can fried food and bacon be healthy? Let's try!

I know that this is going to sound like blasphemy to the diet and exercise world, but I am a HUGE proponent of eating "bad" foods.
I can't help it. I'm a passionate foodie.
But at the same time, I am careful about what goes and what sticks around.
I used to go on low carb diets, low fat diets, low calorie diets, low glycemic diets, carb-cycling diets, all which suck and made me a very unpleasant person to be around.
So once a week, I have a fry day. Tuesdays, actually, are my fry days.
But don't worry, deep-fried foods and bacon doesn't have to be bad for you.
The secret to great, healthy(er) fried foods to get preheat clean, healthy oils with a smoke point of 400+ degrees F. Oils such as canola, corn, soy or peanut are good choices. Oils such as olive oil have lower smoke points (about 350) and are better for sauteing.
Try to avoid breading when deep frying as these things tend to absorb a lot of oil and flake off making the oil dirty and more likely to burn.
Now, moving on to bacon.
Yes, it can be greasy, fatty, and bad for you. But surprisingly enough, bacon is high protein, low carb, full of robust flavor and when cooked crispy and drained, not so unhealthy.

That being said, tonight's menu was fried spring rolls, fried rice, and beef and bacon skewers. Comfort food. Yum. It's not something I eat every day, but once-a-week is a good compromise.

No comments:

Post a Comment